Tuesday, March 12, 2013

MATH BRAIN IDEA with FREEBIES! *UPDATED*

*Update - you can now click on the links to download my documents more easily from google docs rather than scribd!

Ok, so I found this little quote online and just love it and felt that this was the perfect opportunity for me to use it in my blog!  Many times, we feel so powerless and so do the kids, but what we don't realize is that we are all very powerful creators!

Today was one of those days for me.  My husband was taking care of my little ones and as I stood in the shower with the hot water pelting my sore back I received inspiration. Sometimes our ideas just come to us when we aren't really trying!  This then led to my morning's work which I whipped up after this idea I had this morning about math!


I remembered a time when I was teaching last year where the students just didn't get fractions, ratios, decimals or percentages.  It seems so easy for us to do but they need daily practice!  I don't know what you do in your classroom for attendance, but I use my interactive board to do it. The kids love coming into class and moving their names.  So I felt, why not have "board work" (that is math at the same time) while the students are waiting for the national anthem and announcements come on. Maybe if they practiced this concept daily in an applicable, meaningful way, they might just understand these concepts.

So I came up with the worksheets below for students to use with interactive attendance.   See the worksheet freebie below!  You can download it here from google docs.


I also created a second sheet where you could have the kids write in what they were comparing so that you could choose the numbers that you wanted everyone to do.  This works best when you would be modelling so that everyone would be using the same numbers.  Please see freebie below.  You can download it here from google docs.



Then I also thought it would be a good idea for the kids to calculate the mean, median, mode and range of the total number of students present and absent at the end of the week.  Another way of fitting in math concepts in a fun way.  Please see the freebie below.  You can download it here from google docs.




Also, after a few weeks when kids get the hang of it, you could switch to using questions as the interactive attendance. This way when students move their names they are answering a question.  You can use the same type of organizer, but I've left the table blank this time to record the different answers.  For example, a question might be, "How do you get to school in the morning?" and you might have a few options (car, bus,  walk, city bus, other (for multiple ways).  Then your fractions, ratios and percents would be based upon a data management question and you could also turn it into a graph at the end of the week.



 Click here for the freebie from google docs.

So, for the record, I haven't actually tried this activity in my classroom because I'm on MAT leave, but it's something I would love to try.  If you use it in your classroom, could you please post how it went or how you would modify it?  By the way, I would love to post these in my TPT store, but I'm not sure about the image copyright?  I can't find any information.  What do all of you TPT creators use for your images?

Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment